Both DoTERRA and Young Living are amongst the premium quality essential oil brands, however, each has its own pros and cons.
When we talk about procuring an essential oil, any individual would want to ensure two things – source from where the plants for the oil are procured, and also the purity of the essential oil being sold.
I have personally used both the brands and can surely say that each is unique in its own way. Both these companies focus a lot on procurement and quality of the end product (type of essential oil) provided to its clients.
- What is the purity of essential oil? Are they CPGT Certified?
- What is the price of essential oil, and what is the product range (types of essential oils available)?
- Are any additives or chemicals added to the essential oil?
- Since when has the product been available in the market?
doTERRA Essential Oil
By offering pure and effective essential oils, doTERRA allows individuals to modify their own life, their clans’ lives, and their group of people.
The company was formed in April 2008 and in 2009 the company started operations in Taiwan and also introduced the Aroma Touch technique. In 2010, doTERRA opened a European office and currently sources 130 essential oils from over 45 countries, and below mentioned is the details of few of its products:
- Rose Touch: Using the potent advantage of Rose essential oil in an appropriate roll-on, doTERRA Rose Touch can be used all through the day to improve the mood or as a part of an individual’s skin care routine to stimulate a healthy looking skin tone.
- Neroli Touch: Relaxing to the skin, doTERRA Neroli Touch is precisely manufactured with Fractional Coconut Oil to offer an encouraging, soothing experience when used.
- Jasmine Touch: doTERRA Jasmine Touch can assist in reducing the imperfections in appearance of the skin.
- Blue Tansy: This essential oil is high in sabinene, and chamazulene. Blue Tansy essential oil is comforting to the body and mind.
- Copaiba: This essential oil is similar to Black Pepper, and can assist in reducing anxiety, supporting a fit immune and blood system.
International market presence – dOTERRA Vs Young Living
|Country||Year in which operations were started|
Young Living Essential Oils provides premier quality essential oils and aims to adhere to its commitment to set quality standards through its registered ‘Seed to Seal’ quality guarantee, which encompasses three pillars: Science, Sourcing, and Standards. Its guiding principles aid Young Living safeguard the planet and offer unadulterated, genuine products to its network of clients.
Young Living’s products are sourced from partner farms, Seed to Seal-certified contractors,corporate-owned farms, and these products primarily focus on supporting a hale and hearty lifestyle.
Since 1994, the company has formulated more than 600 wellness and health products, and shipped essential oils and associated products to more than 200 nation states. The company’s brands include Animal Scents, ART, Einkorn, KidScents, Mirah, NingXia, Savvy Minerals, Seedlings, Shutran, Slique, Thieves, and Young Living Gear.
International market presence of Young Living
Below mentioned are the details about its global presence:
|Young Living Essential Oils (Australasia) Pty Ltd|
|Canada||Young Living Canada|
|Ecuador||Young Living Ecuador|
|Europe||Young Living (Europe) Limited|
|Hong Kong||Young Living Hong Kong Limited|
|Indonesia||PT. Young Living Indonesia|
|Japan||Young Living Japan Inc.|
|Malaysia||Young Living Malaysia SdnBhd|
|Mexico||Young Living Mexico|
|Philippines||Young Living Philippines, LLC – Philippines Branch|
|Singapore||Young Living Singapore Pte Ltd|
|Taiwan||Young Living Taiwan|
|United States||Young Living Essential Oils|
DoTERRA v/s Young Living – How they are Different?
I have tried numerous products of both these brands, and below mentioned are the key difference noticed by me. Let’s understand how both the brands differ from each other:
- DoTERRA’s aroma diffused is stronger than Young Living. This was my personal experience with both the brands, however, I really don’t have an idea about the reason of this variance.
- DoTERRA essential oils smell sweeter as compared to Young Living. This is particularly accurate for doTERRA amalgams that contain vanilla in them. Even, DoTERRA’s citrus oils smelled sweeter in comparison to Young Living.
- DoTERRA essential oils are cheaper as compared to Young Living – this is an imperative factor for majority of buyers.
- DoTERRA has a better market reach on essential oils as compared to Young Living – this is imperative to reach more number of customers at any given time.
- DoTERRA has better starter kits as compared to Young Living.
Comparison chart – Young Living V/s dOTERRA Essential Oils
|Allows public to tour their farms||Yes||No|
|Claims oils are beyond organic purity||Yes||Yes|
|Claims oils grown in best locations||Yes||Yes|
|Claims oils to be of therapeutic quality||Yes||Yes|
|Contracts with exclusive growers||Yes||Yes|
|Contracts with third party suppliers||Yes||Yes|
|Distils using proprietary techniques||Yes||No|
|Economic benefit to poor communities||Yes||Yes|
|Jointly owns farms with growers||Yes||No|
|Oils are GC/MS tested||Yes||Yes|
|Owns farms and grows plants||Yes||No|
|Personally distils essential oils||Yes||No|
|Personally tests every oils at their labs||Yes||No|
|Quality control from the start/seeds||Yes||No|
|Sells single oils exclusive to them||Yes||No|
|Tests oil quality while distilling||Yes||No|
|Tests oils at third party labs||Yes||Yes|
The lone difference amongst the two establishments, from my perspective, is that Young Living has a stronger grip in the market because it started operations approximately fifteen years prior to doTERRA.
Both companies – Young Living and dOTERRA claim to offer pure products to their customers and ensures that quality standards are in place – Young Living has ‘Seed to Seal’ and doTERRA has co-impact sourcing. Both the companies’ understand that extracting essence is an expensive and delicate process, however, they focus a lot on the purity of the product.